Medical Exam

This morning was the obligatory Medical Examination for Joshua.  They relocated the Medical Exam office 4 months ago and it...along with just about everything else...is no longer on Shaiman Island where we stayed last time.

True, the new facility is...new...bigger, cooler, cleaner appearing.  But it does not hold my second most precious memory of my last trip...a very clear word from the Lord.  I had looked forward to standing in that place, thanking the Lord for His fulfilled promises even though it was a very hard promise He gave.  He is faithful.

The new facility has a mass area (above) and an area our guide moved us to for...

Each family was cycled through 3 or 4 stations depending on the age of your child.  Joshua is over 2, so he had to go to the fourth station...the TB test!

First we went to...

This gal must have been testing his hearing...she was squeaking a toy on each side of his head.  Joshua kind of had this expression like, "What on earth are you doing, lady?"

Apparently, no ear infections.  Praise the Lord!

She looked in his mouth next and made no comment about the surely hundreds if not a couple of thousand dollars worth of dental bills that are coming our way.  Poor guy has a minimum of eight teeth that are rotted...including front teeth and molars.  He's loved brushing his teeth with us, but the damage has already been done.

After that, we went to the weight and height station.  Their scale seems to indicate he weighs about 30lbs.  He feels like he weighs double what Lily does eventhough the scale doesn't bear that out. 

He feels SOOO heavy!  Glad I've been working on strengthening my back!

No fever...this sweet nurse showed me his temp so I'd know!

Next, we were on to the...

After reading over his last medical exam, (I'm not convinced by some of the things he did that he understood the meaning of Arthrogryposis...but then I know I don't fully understand it yet either) the man measured his head...

...listened to his chest, and then tried to get him to do some hand motions and squeeze his hand...Joshua was not uncooperative, but I don't think he totally got what he was supposed to do.  I am pretty sure he was speaking Cantonese instead of the Mandarin Joshua understands.  Joshua did really well with it all...definitely seems used to the doctor routine.

Last, but the most crucial over the next several days, was the TB test.

I wasn't sure how he would react...

....but he didn't even cry! After we were back in the hallway, he kept making faces like he was thinking he would cry but never did. Instead, he just ate his cracker and laid his head on my shoulder.

That didn't hold, however.  When we got in the bus to return to the hotel, he had a full meltdown...we are pretty sure it was because he wanted to sit next to Baba instead of Mama.  He really likes Baba!  In the early days of adoption, it is very normal (and actually good) for the child to prefer one parent over the other.  They pick one and latch on...which is good in an attachment sense.  Makes it a little trying for the parents, but good in the long run.  He'll have plenty of time while Kevin's at work to figure out that if he needs something...Mama's it.  Now, I just need to keep working on my upper body strength to be able to contain wiggling arms and legs during a fit!

On an unrelated note...pray for the Lord to bind the enemy and for strength and wisdom for our son at home and our friends who are helping him.  The ceiling of our garage gave way and a portion of what was in the attic landed on our van.  Apparently the damage is not serious, but it will be one more thing to deal with for all involved.  Aaron seemed to be taking it in stride when we Skyped with him earlier.

In Him,

1 comment:

  1. I was shocked the first time I looked into my new daughters mouth. 47 months in an orphanage and her teeth were gray! I was convinced she had cavaties, many cavaties. To my shock and amazement she had no cavaties. It did take two sessions of some very serious cleaning to get the tea stains off though.

    Amy H