3.13.2011

The Brace

Ni Hao Yall


Last Friday we returned to Prosthetics and Orthotics for a regular prosthetic check up and to get Lily's new foot brace.

It has been a few weeks since we were there...I'm glad I didn't get lost on the way!

Seriously, it could happen to me. For some reason my brain just dumps info that has been in "reserve" for awhile. How I get from point A to point B has been lost many more times than I would like to admit!

Anyway, Lily's whole outlook on visiting P & O has done a 180. Once again she was quite cooperative...and quiet! Matter of fact, she actually walked (with me holding her under the arms...don't get too excited!) from the waiting room to the hallway that takes her to the exam room! She was even excited to see Miss Mary! Yippee!

First on the docket was SMO fitting (her right foot brace). She found this very fascinating as did all the girls. I had to remind my faithful photographer of her job, she was so taken with the procedure.
Whatcha doing?

Look at my hand in sock trick!


Look at those cute piggies!


Next, Mr. Don & Miss Mary checked out the socket fit. This was actually the main thing on my brain for this visit as I had been noticing for about a week that it seemed as though her left leg has lengthened! The liner doesn't roll up as high as it used to (no, I don't think I shrunk it in the washer!) and the socket seems to be rubbing again on the inside of her leg like it did when the leg needed shortening.

Hmm. What would Mary & Don think?

As soon as I took off her pants, they were amazed! In their minds there was no doubt her leg had grown. The baby tape measure confirmed about 1/4" + of growth. They also feel like she's gotten bigger overall and reassured me that even though she is petite, they don't feel like she's anywhere near too thin.

What does all that mean?

Stop using the additional sock over the liner as it takes up space in the socket. Then wait & see.

We are slated to go back in a month. Honestly, I'm not sure we'll be able to wait that long. Without the sock the socket is a little loose around her leg and is not staying pulled up snug well. They had noticed that when I held her and her leg was hanging that it was loose and not staying on as well as they'd like to see. After that they began discussing a belt manner of holding the leg on. I do think we may be heading in that direction as the socket just seems too loose to me.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

In Him,

2 comments: