2.09.2012

Aaron and Luke's Room


Had I been a little less busy during the month of December, this is  a post that would have been published.

A post of pictures of the "Boys' Room" as I was mentally calling it.

For those of you who haven't been to our house...our house has 4 bedrooms.  All of which are in constant use. 

Emma has her own bedroom.  Anna Grace, Ally and Lily all share a room.  Kevin and I, of course!, share  a room.  And the 4th bedroom (all the way down in the basement) is Aaron's.

One of the questions we frequently fielded was...where was Luke going to sleep?

When we began Luke's adoption, this was not going to be an issue because the 4th bedroom was empty.  At that point, Aaron was living on his own and had zero intentions of returning.  So the plan was...Emma would relocate to the basement bedroom.  Luke would move into the bedroom formerly graced by Emma.  Simple enough.

Suddenly, in September that all changed when Aaron moved back in.

After much discussion (and prayer for wisdom!), we decided that given the new set of circumstances, we would start out with Aaron and Luke sharing a bedroom and see how it went.  Make adjustments if necessary.

Our sweet friends...who have more kiddos than we do...had a bunk bed they weren't using that they said we could use.

So shortly before Christmas and the arrival of my parents and uncle for the holidays, we (in the Kevin and Aaron sense of 'we'!) acquired the bunk beds, washed them up with Murphy's Soap (love the smell of that stuff!), and put them together.

That is after we had boy #1 de-trash the room and locate the floor! 

Ahem.

Anna Grace and Ally lent some elbow grease to the operation!







We were thrilled with the results!

In case you are thinking...but I only see 1 bed...that is because the bottom bed which could fit under the loft at a 90 degree angle is along the wall opposite the loft bed.  For some reason I didn't get a picture of it.

Luke will take the bottom bed and Aaron the top.
 
  
Aaron really took this all in stride and actually seemed to be looking forward to having some male companionship.  We figured it would be good for Luke, too, since he was not at all used to sleeping in a bedroom by himself.  And, he would have help right there for anything he needed.

We were all soooo excited to be at that point!  Setting up a space for Luke.  More than just his pictures.  Now I could put my hands on a place, a space he would fill.  I could envision his sweet smile looking up at me from his bed...

As I look at these pictures now, on the other side of Luke's home-going, I see the hopes and dreams that were contained in them.   Being honest...I have an ache in my heart and the pain that filled my throat for days returns. 

But God!

Do you know what the Holy Spirit whispered to me as I looked at these pictures now?  

Sweet truth...words sweeter than honey...honey from the honeycomb.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
John 14:1-3

I am resting in knowing the my sweet, smiley Luke is safe and sound in the place my Jesus went ahead to prepare for him.  Knowing it's waaaaay cooler than anything we could have given him.

And it's perfect.

And another promise whispered to me? 
 
He's preparing mine, too!

And it will be there that Luke and I and Kevin are united...in Him.

In Him,

3 comments:

  1. Fanstastic writing! I hope that God will continue to give you peace when you remember Luke's passing. I am very proud that you are so strong in this hard time, because I would have a very tough time. We always need to find our help in the Lord. Thank you for being a great example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart and faith in such a tough time. As sad as it is - my mother's heart can only imagine- your story is a testimony of God's goodness. Choosing to see that He is good... choosing faith... even joy... you encourage me!

    ReplyDelete